Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The House I Want To Live In

My husband and I drove to Pittsburgh this past weekend to spend some time in the city and its surrounding area, just to get an idea of where we might want to focus our housing search. It was a frustrating experience. Here in Indiana, the cost of living is very cheap, and the housing market is one of the most affordable in the entire country. Not the case in Pittsburgh, where we were looking at houses half the size of our current home and twice the cost.

We came home feeling a little defeated. We were filled with doubts. After all, what is the point of intentionally uprooting your family if you are taking a step backward financially?

We've decided to expand our housing search next time by looking at areas much further north. I'm looking for something that feels like "town", not necessarily "sprawl". I'd like a home with a decent yard for the dog and my gardens, somewhere for Sam to kick a ball without breaking a window of the house next door.


We're praying that God will give us direction in the days ahead. In the meantime, we're meeting with realtors this week, and will likely have our house on the market in just a few short days.

Today, the relocation company sent out an inspector to check out our house from rooftop to basement. He spent a few hours inspecting every square inch of this place. When he was done, he asked me "What church do you go to?"

"Lord of Life" I responded. "We're really going to miss it, too. It's been a wonderful church for our family."

"I can tell you go to church," he said, "just by seeing the things in your home."



I looked around the house after he left, through the eyes of a visitor. I guess our house does have a lot to say about us.






I wouldn't call it "in your face" religious art. But I do surround our home with the things that matter to us. Some realtors will tell you to stow away your family photos and religious art, lest they offend a potential buyer. I hope that my artwork is subtle enough for the average person, while at the same time being meaningful for me and my family.

Today, in the midst of our search for the perfect town and the perfect house, God reminded me that the best house is the one where Christ is the foundation. That's the only kind of house I want to live in.

"Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and members of God's household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone."  Ephesians 2:19-20


No comments:

Post a Comment