Saturday, February 23, 2013

In The Best Light

I am a sucker for the pretty nature photo.

When I am browsing at houses online, I tend to overlook things like carpets or counter tops. All of those things can easily be changed. A beautiful yard and garden, however, takes a lot of time and money to achieve. I look for gardens, trees, water features, paver patios surrounded by flower beds. Show me a pretty garden, and I'm sold!

And therein lies the rub. We'll be listing our house in early spring. Let's face it. The garden will not be very pretty, even if a few brave daffodils decide to make an appearance.

Lucky for me, I happen to be a nature photographer. Okay, not a REAL nature photographer. I'm an amateur with a cheap digital camera that likes to take photos of my yard and garden. I can pull up old photo files to use when it is time to list.

So instead of seeing this:


A potential buyer can see this:


Instead of poky branches sticking out of the snowy ground:



A rose garden!


Sad flower beds:


Happy flower beds!


A realtor will tell you that your typical buyer does not have the best imagination. They can't visualize what a house or garden could look like. You have to show them. Thankfully, I will have something to show for all of that faithful digging, planting, mulching and watering.

And for all of you who are looking at that view of the vine-covered arbor and thinking "Wow. She's going to miss that view!" Trust me, I know. It's been a joy to watch the seasons change in the nature preserve.

I'm praying now for my next house and my next garden. And Lord, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you please give me some really good soil? No clay, please. Thanks, God. You're the best!

1 comment:

  1. Another reason to celebrate our lengthening days to Spring...beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete