Thursday, May 23, 2013

On Packers and Packing

The packers will be arriving on Memorial Day. Yikes! I can't believe how the time has flown! It seems as if one day we were pondering a move, and the next day we were moving. Actually, it didn't happen quite that quickly. This process has been slowly unfolding since February, but when you are so busy, it seems to go by in the blink of an eye!

Here are a few things you should know about professional packers:

* They pack by rooms. If you want something in Sam's room at the new house, you better make sure it's in Sam's room now so that the packers will label it correctly. Otherwise, you may be digging through boxes unnecessarily.

* If it's not nailed down, they will pack it. Yes, packers have been known to pack a garbage can with garbage still inside. You have to be one step ahead of them in this regard. Think ahead!

* Packers work quickly and efficiently. Try not to hover over them, inspecting their work. If there's something you do not trust them to pack, then be prepared to pack it and transport it yourself. The moving company can only guarantee the items that were professionally packed.

* Use Post-It notes to label items with "DO NOT PACK" signs.

* Make sure that you've packed your suitcase and personal items before the packers arrive, and label it with a Do Not Pack sticky note.

* It may be best to move items that won't be packed to one central location...the car, maybe.

This week, I am working room by room to get the appropriate items in their proper locations. For example, there are a lot of decorative items that I plan on using in my new kitchen. I have moved them into a corner of my current kitchen to make it that much easier.


Are you picking up a theme here? I've had some of these items in storage because they just didn't work in my current kitchen. But I know they will look fabulous in my new kitchen!


I purchased these adorable measuring spoons from a store more than two years ago...for my future kitchen. And now, they'll finally have a permanent home!


When I remodeled my dining room last January, I took down these buffalo check plaid curtains and replaced them with sheers. I washed them and stored them for another day.  I think these will look fantastic in my new living room!

In the meantime, all of my college sons are now home, and we are sorting through their belongings as well. The house is in one of those stages where things look worse before they get better. Hopefully, we'll be completely organized by Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment