Saturday, April 20, 2013

Trust

My husband is going to look at a house that just came on the market this week. It looks like it could be the one we've been patiently waiting for...an English Tudor home with a big, flat back yard in an old, established historic neighborhood of Pittsburgh.

We've looked at quite a few houses over the years. Some of them my husband liked, and some of them I liked.

The pilot's house in the woods. (My husband liked, I did not).

The yellow house in the village. (I liked, my husband did not).

But when we choose a house to call home, invariably we both like it and know instantly that it's the house we've been searching for. If he doesn't like it, then it's probably not the one. If I don't like it, then I remind him of the "happy wife, happy life" words-to-live-by.

This time, it will be a little different. Pittsburgh is six hours away, and I just can't drop everything (laundry, homework, boy and dog) to drive six hours when a house comes on the market. This time, I will have to trust that my husband will know if it's the one. I have to trust him to make an offer for both of us, even though I have not physically stepped foot in the house.

And I do trust him.

I will also trust him if he walks in the house today and decides for any number of reasons (too big, awkward layout, no storage, missing a bathroom, too expensive) that it is not the house for us.


This week, I read this from Spurgeon's Morning and Evening devotional. It recounts the story of Rahab, who tied the scarlet cord in her window, thus putting her trust in the spies who would save her and a God who would deliver her.

Spurgeon ends with this thought: "My soul, tie the scarlet cord in the window and rest in peace."


Today, I have a scarlet cord tied at my window. It is there to remind me to trust that God will find us the right house, the right neighborhood, the right community to call home. I'm trusting that God has a plan for our family, and that plan is to prosper us in Pittsburgh.

"In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength." Isaiah 30:15

No comments:

Post a Comment